Friday, May 12, 2006

It's time to defend our rights.

I was recently made aware that Tinker vs. Des Moines, a SCOTUS case which I initially thought was about symbolic speech, in fact protects a good deal of more traditional speech within public schools as well. Despite the fact that my high school allows a good deal more freedoms than many, it does have a rule requiring a seal of approval for all flyers posted. I'm fairly sure that's unconstitutional based on Tinker vs. Des Moines, and therefore I am sending the following email to my school's administrators:
Principal Cates and Assistant Principals:
I was recently made aware that the 1975 Supreme Court case Tinker vs. Des Moines (a link to the Court's opinions in the case is provided for your convenience here) applies not only to symbolic speech but to all speech within schools. Although I recognize and greatly appreciate that Highland Park High School gives its students many more freedoms than most public high schools, I believe that the requirement that all flyers to be posted be approved by the administration violates the First Amendment, as clarified by Tinker. Thus, I intend, on Monday, to post appropriate flyers in an appropriate fashion in the appropriate places, but to do so without seeking an administrator's seal. I trust that you will remove this rule and that my flyers will be undisturbed for a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you for considering my opinion.
Nigel Watt
We'll see what happens.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home