Monday, July 24, 2006

Why hello there!

Yeah, I've been gone for awhile. I've been here, which is awesome, but the Internet connection there is awful and I haven't been able to post, and I've really been kind of afraid to check up on the news. I'm going back there on Friday, but I'm at my aunt's in Boston now, and imagine my horror to find that the Middle East is flipping out again.

So what should we do about it? The Bush administration's position appears to be to crisply waffle, instead of doing what they should do - get all American troops out of there, get all American government money out of there, and allow for true self-determination of nations, even if it is sometimes ugly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Miller said...

We have Woodrow Wilson to blame. I'm studying the events that led up to WWI and until 1914... the United States related to the rest of the world on primarily an economic front... not so much on a foreign policy front.

Once the U.S. and Wilson determined that we could solve Europe's problems with Versailles, it was all down hill from there.

What should we do? We should roll back the clock to about 1900 and get back to our isolationist history and simply be a dependable trading partner.

At least those are my thoughts

12:20 PM  
Blogger Nigel Watt said...

Why stop there? Let's roll back to 1789 and see what we can cut from there.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I disagree with Dave Miller's and Nigel Watt's thinking on what to do with the Middle East. 2,000 American civilians died during
9-11, Bush makes the best choice in bringing justice to Al-Queda, then the CIA gave him intelligence that Iraq has nuclear capabilities and is not afraid to atttack the United States with them, we go into Iraq to solve the problem, no nukes.

So what do we do? Do we abandon Iraq as they're rebuilding their country? NO! We blew them up, so we should be responsible in rebuilding them. I don't want to stay in there forever, but we can't just leave the Iraqis now. We tried to leave Baghdad and the insurgents started to come back in larger numbers.

I do like the idea of Isolationism, but in reality, it isn't always as pretty as people tend to think. People in some countries/regions just need help protecting their natural rights whether it be Rowanda, Darfur, or Iran; some people like you and me want to voice their oppinion to their government, but can't because they would be killed on the spot. Should we not help these people and protect their life, liberty, and property?

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home